Importance of Colours in Fruits and Vegetables
Have you ever wondered, why there are different colours of vegetables or fruits? Is there really a difference in taste and does the colour really have an impact on that specific fruit or vegetable?
Well, yes!!! The colour has a greater impact and you need to consume fruits and vegetables in a variety of different colours. This is because the different colours of fruits and vegetables indicate different nutrients. Consuming a rainbow of fruits and vegetables helps you get enough nutrients for good health.
Rainbow Benefits of different coloured fruits and vegetables
- Red (Tomato, watermelon, kokum fruit, cranberries, strawberries)
- Contains lycopene
- Helps to lower the risk for cancer and heart disease
- Orange (Oranges)
- Contains carotenoids
- Helps to improve your immune function and lower the risk for heart disease
- Green (Avocado, kiwi fruit, spinach and other leafy greens)
- Contains chlorophyll
- Helps to lower the risk of cancer and vision related problems
- Yellow (Mangoes, bananas, lemon)
- Rich in folate, potassium and vitamin C
- Fortifies your skin
- Blue (Eggplant, blueberries, blackberries, prunes, plums)
- Contains anthocyanin
- Helps to keep your vision and immune system healthy
- White (Garlic, mushroom)
- Contains anthoxanthins
- Helps to lower the risk for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer and heart disease
Enjoy eating different colour fruits and vegetables and colour yourself healthy !!!